Wilner & O'Reilly, APLC - Immigration Attorneys In California And Utah
One Practice. One Focus. One Passion: Immigration Law.

"P" Is For Pacquiao

Ever wonder how fighters and other athletes and entertainers that hail from the Philippines can come to the United States to compete or perform? Sure, some are lawful permanent residents of the U.S. or U.S. citizens. For those that aren't, the "P" visa is a natural choice. This article will focus on just that. Next week, we'll talk about the "O" visa. The P's big brother.

Thing of the "P" visa in terms of Performer. The Code of Federal Regulations provides that someone who lives in a foreign country, that doesn't intend to abandon his residence, may come to the U.S. to perform services for a sponsor or employer. Not everyone qualifies to perform "services". Instead, one must be an "internationally recognized athlete", either individually or as part of a team, or a member of an "internationally recognized entertainment group." People who are coming to the United States to perform in a culturally unique program also qualify, as to coaches and teachers.

Not everyone can perform at the necessary level nor provide the types of service contemplated in the P category. Instead, one must be coming to the United States in order to "perform at specific athletic competitions" as an individual athlete or as part of a team, at an internationally recognized level or performance. For example, while a fighter seeking entry to the United States to compete in the "King of the Cage" might not qualify as the level of event necessary for qualification, certainly an event sanctioned by the International Boxing Commission and relevant state gaming commissions would be worthy of consideration. Essential support personnel, like "cornermen" qualify for the visa as well.

One need not be an athlete nor coming to the U.S. to engage in sport in order to qualify. As stated above, performers do as well. Therefore, one might be coming to the United States to perform with, or act "as an integral and essential part of the performance of an entertainment group that has been recognized internationally as being outstanding in the discipline."

So how does the sponsor/employer prove the worthiness of the event and its performers? While documenting the case is intense, what is required is on the employer's side of things is rather straightforward. As provided by appropriate regulation, the employer/sponsor must submit: copies of any written contract between the sponsor and the beneficiary and/or a specific summary of any relevant oral agreements concerning employment. The applicants must also submit a detailed explanation of the events and activities, with specific dates as to beginning and end of the same. A specific itinerary is favored by the government. If the profession at issue is a unionized one in the United States, a consultation from a relevant labor organization on the sophistication of the event.

On the performer or athlete's side of things, the regulations are also quite clear. In order to document the level of accomplishments of the foreign national, "affidavits, contracts, awards, and similar documentation must reflect the nature of the alien's achievements". Similarly, affidavits from present or former employers and/or recognized experts in the field of endeavor, should be submitted that document the applicant's extraordinary achievements.

The above is what is required by regulation. Providing simply what is required is average. And, average is "C" work. C does not equal P.

Lawyers You Can Trust

Our Office Locations

Orange Office
333 City Boulevard West
Ste. 1918
Orange, CA 92868

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 714-919-8880
Orange Law Office Map

Sacramento Office
2730 Gateway Oaks Dr.
Ste. 110
Sacramento, CA 95833

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 916-643-4657
Sacramento Law Office Map

Riverside Office
3403 Tenth Street
Ste. 742
Riverside, CA 92501

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 951-787-0010
Riverside Law Office Map

Salt Lake City Office
675 E 2100 S, Suite 300
Salt Lake City, UT 84106

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Map & Directions

Orem Office
1145 South 800 East
Orem, UT 84097

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Map & Directions

San Bruno Office
1001 Bayhill Drive, Ste. 200
San Bruno, CA 94066

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 650-243-0475
Map & Directions

Boise Office
950 W Bannock Street
Ste 1100
Boise, ID 83702

Phone: 208-391-2020
Fax: 208-485-7969
Map & Directions