Wilner & O'Reilly, APLC
One Practice. One Focus. One Passion: Immigration Law.

Immigration for family members of citizens

California residents who are U.S. citizens and who wish to bring spouses, unmarried children under 21 or parents from a foreign country to the United States can do so under certain conditions. Those individuals can get a visa number immediately, but some other family members may be able to do so as well. Children who are married or over the age of 21 as well as siblings may also be able to get a green card.

The difference for these types of relatives is that they may have a waiting period before they can obtain a visa because the government only permits a certain number in this category to immigrate per year. This process can begin outside the United States or after an individual has arrived in the United States.

Inside the United States, the citizen sponsor must fill out a Form I-130 and then a Form I-485 after the I-130 is approved. From outside the United States, an individual can go through consular processing. This involves getting a visa based on Form I-130 and then traveling to the United States to become a permanent resident on entry.

Individuals interested in this process may wish to speak with a family immigration attorney, as this may help expedite the process and avoid errors. For example, if a 20-year-old woman is preparing to join her parents and she gets married, this changes her status and could delay her visa. On the other hand, if that woman did not marry but turned 21 before the visa processing was complete, she might still qualify to immigrate. The Child Status Protection Act governs this, and in general, a child's age at the time of application is considered the relevant age for determining status for immigration.

Source: US Citizenship and Immigration Services, "Green Card for a Family Member of a U.S. Citizen ", September 12, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Lawyers Your Can Trust

Our Office Locations

Orange Office
333 City Boulevard West Ste. 1918
Orange, CA 92868

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 714-919-8880
Orange Law Office Map

Sacramento Office
2730 Gateway Oaks Dr. Ste. 110
Sacramento, CA 95833

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 916-643-4657
Sacramento Law Office Map

Riverside Office
3403 Tenth Street Ste. 742
Riverside, CA 92501

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 951-787-0010
Riverside Law Office Map

Salt Lake City Office
675 E 2100 S, Ste. 300
Salt Lake City, UT 84106

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Salt Lake City Law Office Map

Orem Office
1145 South 800 East
Orem, UT 84097

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Map & Directions

San Bruno Office
1001 Bayhill Drive
Ste. 200
San Bruno, CA 94066

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 650-243-0475
Map & Directions

Boise Office
10173 West Overland Road
Boise, ID 83709

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 208-391-2020
Fax: 208-485-7969
Map & Directions

Fresno Office
8050 N Palm
Ste. 300
Fresno, CA 93711

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 559-490-1490
Fax: 888-448-0638
Map & Directions