Wilner & O'Reilly, APLC
One Practice. One Focus. One Passion: Immigration Law.

Getting permission to work in California

One way to become a permanent resident in the United States is through an offer of employment. Either the person wishing to come to the country can petition for a green card based on a job offer, or the employer can petition for an employee's green card using Form I-140. Those who are currently living outside of the country can become permanent residents through consular processing.

Consular processing involves the USICS coordinating with the Department of State to provide a visa when one becomes available. This assumes that the I-140 petition has been approved. Those who are living outside of the country can use Form I-485 to ask for an adjustment of their status to permanent resident. When submitting the I-485 form, it is a good idea to submit the approved Form I-140.

It is also advisable to submit the job offer received from an employer as well as two color photos. Medical records may also be necessary to increase the odds that a foreign worker's status will be adjusted. Form I-864 may also need to be submitted by the sponsor if the worker is working for a company that he or she owns or that a relative owns. Those applying for adjustment are also encouraged to submit any other information that supports their adjustment.

Those who wish to immigrate to the country may do so legally for a job opportunity. However, the proper paperwork must be filled out to ensure that the process is completed in a legal manner. Those who are working in the country illegally may be sent back to their home country immediately. Employment immigration attorneys may be helpful to both workers and employers wishing to find or provide opportunities to find work in the United States.

Source: USCIS, "Green Card through a Job Offer", October 09, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Lawyers Your Can Trust

Our Office Locations

Orange Office
333 City Boulevard West Ste. 1918
Orange, CA 92868

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 714-919-8880
Orange Law Office Map

Sacramento Office
2730 Gateway Oaks Dr. Ste. 110
Sacramento, CA 95833

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 916-643-4657
Sacramento Law Office Map

Riverside Office
3403 Tenth Street Ste. 742
Riverside, CA 92501

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 951-787-0010
Riverside Law Office Map

Salt Lake City Office
675 E 2100 S, Ste. 300
Salt Lake City, UT 84106

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Salt Lake City Law Office Map

Orem Office
1145 South 800 East
Orem, UT 84097

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Map & Directions

San Bruno Office
1001 Bayhill Drive
Ste. 200
San Bruno, CA 94066

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 650-243-0475
Map & Directions

Boise Office
10173 West Overland Road
Boise, ID 83709

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 208-391-2020
Fax: 208-485-7969
Map & Directions

Fresno Office
8050 N Palm
Ste. 300
Fresno, CA 93711

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 559-490-1490
Fax: 888-448-0638
Map & Directions