Wilner & O'Reilly, APLC
One Practice. One Focus. One Passion: Immigration Law.

If I marry a U.S. citizen, can I apply for a marriage-based visa?

Each year in California, many foreign-born individuals wonder if they can apply for and receive a marriage-based visa before wedding a U.S. citizen. Marriage-based visas are available in many circumstances for people whose unions are legally valid.

Immigration law treats different categories of immigrants differently when deciding whether to grant marriage-based visas. For those who previously entered the United States legally and were subjected to inspection by a border patrol agent, the process is fairly straightforward. For those who entered illegally, the process is much more difficult.

People who entered legally but then overstayed their visa should apply for a marriage-based visa as soon as they have married in order to receive an adjustment of status. This category of people is most often able to be granted an adjustment. They should not leave the United States during the process, however, as they will be forced to remain outside for three to 10 years if they have overstayed by more than six months since 1997. Those that entered illegally may sometimes be able to obtain a marriage-based visa. If they have been previously deported, however, they will be permanently barred from the United States. People whose prior visa applications were denied due to an agency error may be eligible for an adjustment of status.

Certain categories of immigrants who entered illegally are eligible for marriage-based visas, but the proof required can be complicated. People who are currently illegal in the United States but who plan to marry may benefit by meeting with family immigration attorneys to find out about their options. An attorney may be able to appropriately advise an individual and their future spouse on how to best go about obtaining legal status in order to avoid splitting up families due to immigration status.

Source: Immihelp, "Marriage Based Green Card for Persons Already in the U.S.", October 21, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Lawyers Your Can Trust

Our Office Locations

Orange Office
333 City Boulevard West Ste. 1918
Orange, CA 92868

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 714-919-8880
Orange Law Office Map

Sacramento Office
2730 Gateway Oaks Dr. Ste. 110
Sacramento, CA 95833

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 916-643-4657
Sacramento Law Office Map

Riverside Office
3403 Tenth Street Ste. 742
Riverside, CA 92501

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 951-787-0010
Riverside Law Office Map

Salt Lake City Office
675 E 2100 S, Ste. 300
Salt Lake City, UT 84106

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Salt Lake City Law Office Map

Orem Office
1145 South 800 East
Orem, UT 84097

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Map & Directions

San Bruno Office
1001 Bayhill Drive
Ste. 200
San Bruno, CA 94066

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 650-243-0475
Map & Directions

Boise Office
950 W Bannock Street
Ste. 1100
Boise, ID 83702

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 208-391-2020
Fax: 208-485-7969
Map & Directions

Fresno Office
8050 N Palm
Ste. 300
Fresno, CA 93711

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 559-490-1490
Fax: 888-448-0638
Map & Directions