Wilner & O'Reilly, APLC
One Practice. One Focus. One Passion: Immigration Law.

Children born abroad and U.S. citizenship

Establishing U.S. citizenship for a child who was born abroad may depend on the relationship between the parents at the time of the birth. It may also be affected by the citizenship of the parents at the time of the birth. California parents may want to keep these issues in mind if they will be out of the country near the time of a baby's due date.

Unmarried parents face greater challenges in establishing a child's citizenship than those who are married. In all cases, at least one parent must be a citizen at the time of the child's birth. The greatest challenges arise if an unmarried father is the only U.S. citizen as a legal blood relationship must be established. An unmarried parent who is a U.S. citizen at the time of the child's birth must also have spent a minimum of five years present in the U.S. or its territories. This can include employment abroad through the U.S. armed forces, the federal government or other specified international agencies. At least two years of residency must have occurred after age 14.

If both parents are married at the time of a child's birth, a parent through whom citizenship will be established must have been physically present in the country or its territories for a minimum of five years with two years occurring after age 14. If both parents are U.S. citizens, at least one must have lived in the country or its territories before the child's birth.

Parents may need to establish a child's citizenship before returning to the U.S. with the child, meaning that documentation may need to be submitted at a U.S. consulate or embassy in the country in which the child was born. If a parent is not prepared to prove his or her citizenship, it may be helpful to coordinate with citizenship attorneys who can gather the needed materials and assist in the completion of necessary applications.

Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, "Citizenship Through Parents", December 31, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Lawyers Your Can Trust

Our Office Locations

Orange Office
333 City Boulevard West Ste. 1918
Orange, CA 92868

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 714-919-8880
Orange Law Office Map

Sacramento Office
2730 Gateway Oaks Dr. Ste. 110
Sacramento, CA 95833

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 916-643-4657
Sacramento Law Office Map

Riverside Office
3403 Tenth Street Ste. 742
Riverside, CA 92501

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 951-787-0010
Riverside Law Office Map

Salt Lake City Office
675 E 2100 S, Ste. 300
Salt Lake City, UT 84106

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Salt Lake City Law Office Map

Orem Office
1145 South 800 East
Orem, UT 84097

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Map & Directions

San Bruno Office
1001 Bayhill Drive
Ste. 200
San Bruno, CA 94066

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 650-243-0475
Map & Directions

Boise Office
950 W Bannock Street
Ste. 1100
Boise, ID 83702

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 208-391-2020
Fax: 208-485-7969
Map & Directions

Fresno Office
8050 N Palm
Ste. 300
Fresno, CA 93711

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 559-490-1490
Fax: 888-448-0638
Map & Directions