Wilner & O'Reilly, APLC
One Practice. One Focus. One Passion: Immigration Law.

V nonimmigrant status

A foreign-born person who is living in California may be able to qualify for a V nonimmigrant visa if they are the spouse or child of a permanent resident. The V nonimmigrant category was created in 2000 as part of the Legal Immigration Family Equity Act. People who qualify for a V visa will be allowed to live and work in the United States while they are waiting to secure their immigration status.

A person who would like to apply for a V visa must have been waiting for a green card for at least three years. The person's permanent resident spouse or parent must have submitted Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on their behalf prior to Dec. 21, 2000 or on that day. If a visa number has not yet become available for the person since Form I-130 or Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, was filed, they might be able to obtain a V visa in the meantime.

Obtaining V status is very important for individuals with pending immigration applications who would like to travel outside of the U.S. and then return. A person who has a pending Form I-485 may not be readmitted to the U.S. after leaving the country unless they have obtained status as a V nonimmigrant.

A person who thinks that they might qualify for a V visa may want to talk about their options with an immigration attorney. Family immigration attorneys might be able to help people to determine what their best options are for obtaining legal residency status in the U.S.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Lawyers Your Can Trust

Our Office Locations

Orange Office
333 City Boulevard West Ste. 1918
Orange, CA 92868

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 714-919-8880
Orange Law Office Map

Sacramento Office
2730 Gateway Oaks Dr. Ste. 110
Sacramento, CA 95833

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 916-643-4657
Sacramento Law Office Map

Riverside Office
3403 Tenth Street Ste. 742
Riverside, CA 92501

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 951-787-0010
Riverside Law Office Map

Salt Lake City Office
675 E 2100 S, Ste. 300
Salt Lake City, UT 84106

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Salt Lake City Law Office Map

Orem Office
1145 South 800 East
Orem, UT 84097

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Map & Directions

San Bruno Office
1001 Bayhill Drive
Ste. 200
San Bruno, CA 94066

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 650-243-0475
Map & Directions

Boise Office
950 W Bannock Street
Ste. 1100
Boise, ID 83702

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 208-391-2020
Fax: 208-485-7969
Map & Directions

Fresno Office
8050 N Palm
Ste. 300
Fresno, CA 93711

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 559-490-1490
Fax: 888-448-0638
Map & Directions