Wilner & O'Reilly, APLC
One Practice. One Focus. One Passion: Immigration Law.

Domestic partnerships not recognized by immigration law

California residents may not be aware that if they are not married to a foreign national, they cannot use their domestic partnership status as a path to permanent residence for the person. This is true even if the domestic partnership is registered with the state.

When a person marries their partner, they may petition on their partner's behalf for their green card. Since the immigration law does not recognize domestic partnerships, this means that they may want to marry their partner to provide them with a basis through which they can then apply for status as a permanent resident.

Family-based immigration is covered by the Immigration and Nationality Act. Under the act, parents with green cards may petition for their unmarried children who are under the age of 21. If the parents become citizens, then they can also petition for married children to become permanent residents as well. That benefit does not extend to the family members of the children, however. If a person's domestic partner has a parent who is a citizen or one who holds a green card, that may be an alternative path other than marriage for them to become green card holders themselves.

Immigration law is complex and difficult to navigate. Those who have questions about getting green cards may benefit by consulting with family immigration attorneys. Legal counsel may help their clients determine the best paths to legal immigrant status based on their individual situations. If it is possible for a client to petition due to their family relationship, the attorney may help them gather all of the necessary documentation and submit the appropriate applications to the immigration officials.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Lawyers Your Can Trust

Our Office Locations

Orange Office
333 City Boulevard West Ste. 1918
Orange, CA 92868

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 714-919-8880
Orange Law Office Map

Sacramento Office
2730 Gateway Oaks Dr. Ste. 110
Sacramento, CA 95833

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 916-643-4657
Sacramento Law Office Map

Riverside Office
3403 Tenth Street Ste. 742
Riverside, CA 92501

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 951-787-0010
Riverside Law Office Map

Salt Lake City Office
675 E 2100 S, Ste. 300
Salt Lake City, UT 84106

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Salt Lake City Law Office Map

Orem Office
1145 South 800 East
Orem, UT 84097

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Map & Directions

San Bruno Office
1001 Bayhill Drive
Ste. 200
San Bruno, CA 94066

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 650-243-0475
Map & Directions

Boise Office
10173 West Overland Road
Boise, ID 83709

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 208-391-2020
Fax: 208-485-7969
Map & Directions

Fresno Office
8050 N Palm
Ste. 300
Fresno, CA 93711

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 559-490-1490
Fax: 888-448-0638
Map & Directions