Wilner & O'Reilly, APLC
One Practice. One Focus. One Passion: Immigration Law.

6 Most Important Things to File For Adjustment of Status inside the United States

To file for adjustment of status from a non-immigrant visa classification to legal permanent resident, there are several pre-requisites. Top Orange County Immigration law firm, Wilner & O'Reilly describe here the conditions you need to meet to file for adjustment of status from inside the United States of America.

• You must be physically in the United States if you want to apply for legal permanent residence in the US. In case you are outside the US, you must get an immigrant visa at a United States Consular post in that country.

• Your immigration petition must have already been approved (I-130 or I-140 Petition) before filing of the I-485 Application to register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (green card application). To understand the paperwork and other details, seek the top immigration law firm in Orange County, Wilner & O'Reilly.

• Also known as the priority date, the date on which your relative or employer filed the immigrant visa petition with USCIS should be current, otherwise you cannot file a petition for adjustment of status. You can check this in the Department of State's monthly Visa Bulletin.

• Your entry in the United States of America should have been legal and you should have documents, such as I-94 to prove it. You

• Orange County immigration law firm, Wilner & O'Reilly can let you know exceptions to this rule, such as section 245i, if any.

• Your circumstances such as employment or marital status should not have changed before applying for green card.

• You cannot file for adjustment of status if you were barred from the United States in cases such as, illegal attempt to enter the US and immigration fraud. For any waivers, your immigration law firm in Orange County, Wilner & O'Reilly would be able to help you with that so that you can seek adjustment of status.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Lawyers Your Can Trust

Our Office Locations

Orange Office
333 City Boulevard West Ste. 1918
Orange, CA 92868

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 714-919-8880
Orange Law Office Map

Sacramento Office
2730 Gateway Oaks Dr. Ste. 110
Sacramento, CA 95833

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 916-643-4657
Sacramento Law Office Map

Riverside Office
3403 Tenth Street Ste. 742
Riverside, CA 92501

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 951-787-0010
Riverside Law Office Map

Salt Lake City Office
675 E 2100 S, Ste. 300
Salt Lake City, UT 84106

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Salt Lake City Law Office Map

Orem Office
1145 South 800 East
Orem, UT 84097

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 801-594-9999
Map & Directions

San Bruno Office
1001 Bayhill Drive
Ste. 200
San Bruno, CA 94066

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 650-243-0475
Map & Directions

Boise Office
950 W Bannock Street
Ste. 1100
Boise, ID 83702

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 208-391-2020
Fax: 208-485-7969
Map & Directions

Fresno Office
8050 N Palm
Ste. 300
Fresno, CA 93711

Toll Free: 800-352-7034
Phone: 559-490-1490
Fax: 888-448-0638
Map & Directions