Mauricio Torres is an associate attorney at Wilner & O’Reilly, APLC. He is admitted to the California State Bar. A native of Cali, Colombia, Mr. Torres graduated from the School of Law at the National University of Colombia where he earned his Bachelor of Laws. In addition, he earned a Master of Law from the J. Reuben Clark Law School at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. During his time in law school, Mr. Torres spent considerable time volunteering at the Legal Aid Clinic Jaime Pardo Leal in Bogota, Colombia, assisting victims of domestic violence, and employment and child custody cases. For his outstanding public service in the Legal Aid Clinic and as a law clerk to the Chief Justice of the Constitutional Court of Colombia, Mr. Torres received the Shawn Bentley Public Service Award granted by the J. Reuben Clark Law Society—Washington D.C. Chapter.
While serving the Hispanic community in Salt Lake City as a volunteer for his church, Mr. Torres learned to appreciate other cultures and learned of the many difficult challenges families face while attempting to enter the United States. Having gone through several consular interviews and visa applications himself, Mr. Torres understands the difficulties many immigrants face, which allows him to help others navigate the immigration system. He has experience in family-based and employment-based immigration, nonimmigrant visas, and consular interviews. Mr. Torres is fluent in English and Spanish.
During his free time, Mr. Torres enjoys going to the movies and theater, hiking, playing the piano, singing, and reading.
Areas of Practice
- California, 2019
- Colombia, 2016
- Brigham Young University
- LL.M. – 2017
- National University of Colombia
- LL.B. – 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society, Member, 2015-Present
- California Lawyers Association, Member, 2019-Present
- American Bar Association, Member, 2019-Present
- Hispanic National Bar Association, 2019-Present
Past Legal Experience
- Jaime Pardo Leal Legal Aid Clinic, Volunteer, 2014
- Baker McKenzie, Associate Assistant, 2014-2015
- National Association of Broadcasters, Legal Intern, 2015
- Constitutional Court of Colombia, Law Clerk, 2015
- Kirton McConkie, Law Clerk, 2017-2019
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Phone: (800) 352-7034 | (801) 594-9999